Friday 1 April 2016


HAPPENING -- 16:

ANOTHER RECOGNITION FOR MARIAM

BY P S SUNDAR

Tamil Nadu Government has honoured J Mariam Agnish (14), Coonoor-based billiards and snooker state and national champion with financial assistance through Sports Development Authority of Tamil Nadu (SDAT) for her participation at the World Snooker Championship in Russia.


“I have received ` 30,000 and thank the Government and SDAT for the recognition given to my performance.    This was to partly fund my participation at World Under 18 Snooker Championship conducted by International Billiards and Snooker Federation in Russia”, Mariam told me.



“I was the first sportsperson from the Nilgiris to represent India in an official international snooker tournament.   The present recognition from the Government is a definite encouragement for me to scale newer heights in international cue game”, said Mariam who is the current Tamil Nadu state championship title holder in Billiards sub junior and No: 2 in Billiards Sub-Junior National championship.


“For furthering my performance at international level, I need a world quality Billiards Table and global-standard coaching.  Hailing from a poor family background, I am unable to afford these.  I have appealed to Chief Minister to extend possible help to me for these”, added Mariam, ninth-standard student of St Joseph’s Girls’ Anglo-Indian Higher Secondary School, Coonoor.



(response can be sent to: pssundar.coonoor@gmail.com)



1 comment:

  1. Mariam-Congrats!!!!!

    Dear Sir-As usual a great article, great motivation to young sports personnel.

    Thanks

    AG.

    ReplyDelete