Monday 28 January 2019

ACHIEVEMENT -- 9:


RITESH FINISHES ‘MUMBAI MARATHON’ FOR FIFTH YEAR


P S SUNDAR 

Ritesh Choudhary, General Manager, Taj Savoy Hotel, Ooty, has brought laurels to The Nilgiris by completing the ‘TATA Mumbai Marathon 2019’.

“I happened to be the only one from The Nilgiris to do this amidst 8,414 who ran the full marathon”, Ritesh told me.



He had taken over as GM at Ooty only on December 1, 2018, and so, this was his first major run after coming to The Nilgiris.    “But, this is the fifth consecutive year I have completed the full distance in Mumbai Marathon”, he said.

“I finished the full distance of 42.195 kilometres in 4:27:02 hours running at an average pace of 6.20 mts/km.  This was better than my own self prediction”, he disclosed.

“This time, while running, I suffered hamstring pull in my thighs but carried on with my running without succumbing to the injury.  On the contrary, I enjoyed the run with a determination to complete it”, said Ritesh who was adorned with two Medals – ‘The finisher’s Medal’ and ‘The Inspiration Medal’. 

 
He dedicated his ‘Inspiration Medal’ to his nine-year-old nephew Harsh and three year-old daughter Reet.   “It is such children who motivate me with the thought that I can do it.   All over the Marathon route, I saw many children encouraging the runners.  This younger generation is motivating me”, Ritesh (36) said.



Ritesh regularly runs in Ooty, now amidst the frost-biting early morning cold.  “This gives me high altitude training and it, in fact, helped me overcome the inclined running up the hill at Peddar Road during the Mumbai marathon with ease”, he shared.

“I will be participating in Ooty ultra marathon in April.   I call running as ‘moving meditation’ because even as we run, we can medicate and sharpen our skill of thinking and concentration.  At Ooty, we run enjoying the bliss of nature and an identification with God!”, he said.

“Besides, in India which is said to be the diabetic capital of the world, running would help to create a healthier nation; so, the running as a movement must be encouraged all over the country”, he added.



(response can also be sent to: pssundar.coonoor@gmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment